New York Transit Token Cuff Links Collector's Set
- An off-the-rails gift for the consummate New Yorker who has memories of each of these.
- These cuff links are crafted from five authentic New York transit tokens circulated from 1953-79 and 1986-2003.
- Included are the first 50's era dime-sized token, the 1979 "Diamond Jubilee" and the "5 Borough" pentagon token, the last token to circulate before the Metrocard. Fun fact: the unloved 5 Borough was alloyed with a metal that made it indistinguishable from nickels, dimes & quarters and thus made it hard to find in a pocketful of change.
- Dime-sized Y-cut token cuff links set in silver-plated brass with swivel findings. All other tokens soldered to sterling silver swivel findings. Size varies from 5/8" to 7/8" diameter.
- Officially licensed by the MTA, each set comes in a leather 5 Pair Case with a Certificate of Authenticity.
It took 11 years for Tokens & Icons to become the first licensee of the New York Transit Authority in 1991. Tokens continues to produce many styles under license to the MTA, your assurance of authenticity.
Additional Product Information
Tokens & Icons was founded with the New York Transit Token Cuff Links in 1991 when Ward Wallau, the founder, was approved for a license with the New York City Transit Authority . This occurred eleven years after he first approached them in 1980 when they filled in the "Y" of the quarter-sized "Y-cut" subway token. While he understood that businesses need to find ways to save money, Ward wanted to prove to the NYCTA that by filling in the "Y," they were dispensing of something truly unique and beloved to the city and its riders. He purchased these older tokens whenever he saw them sitting on the front ledge of an operator's booth and he eventually amassed 100. Though not a cuff link aficionado, Ward thought this format might be a logical way to reincorporate the tokens into New York's daily life and, of course, prove that the "Y-cut" token had more life to it. For more information, please visit NY MTA Authentication.