Until the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, privately owned horsecars, cable cars and electric streetcars, for which Market Street was the central line, made up the public transit network. In 1912, after voters approved a municipal rail line along Geary Street, the cable car on that route was converted to the first San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni) electric streetcar line. Almost thirty years later, Muni's first trollyebus, the R-Howard line, started running. Muni acquired its competitor in 1944 thus establishing the core of its modern operations. It was during this era that the token was first issued. When construction began on Market Street tunnels for BART (Bay Area Rapit Tranist), an above and underground system built to connect multiple regions of the Bay, in 1967, a funding issue led to the beginning of Muni Metro, a light-rail subway. Today, there are 7 lines in the Muni Metro and the transit system also operated multiple buses, trolly buses, and cable car lines. The token is still technically accepted in the city but few circulate among riders as they have not been minted since 2005.