New York Subway Vignelli Diagram Watch
- This watch dial is hand crafted from various sections taken from an authentic Vignelli Subway Map used in the NY Subway system from 1972 - 1979. Dials feature better known neighborhoods, stops & locations. Choose your location.
- Created by legendary designer Massimo Vignelli, these modernist visual diagrams have become iconic in and of themselves.
- 38mm stainless steel bezel, polished stainless caseback engraved 1972 – 1979 Vignelli NYC Subway Map. Mineral crystal.
- Italian black leather strap with contrast stitching. Strap length measures 197mm (approx. 7-3/4").
- Battery operated Japanese movement.
- Each watch comes gift-boxed with a certificate of authenticity.
- Licensed by the NY MTA.
- One year warranty from date of purchase.
Additional Product Information
Tokens & Icons was founded with the New York Transit Token Cuff Links in 1991 when Ward Wallau, the founder, was approved for a license with the New York City Transit Authority . This occurred eleven years after he first approached them in 1980 when they filled in the "Y" of the quarter-sized "Y-cut" subway token. While he understood that businesses need to find ways to save money, Ward wanted to prove to the NYCTA that by filling in the "Y," they were dispensing of something truly unique and beloved to the city and its riders. He purchased these older tokens whenever he saw them sitting on the front ledge of an operator's booth and he eventually amassed 100. Though not a cuff link aficionado, Ward thought this format might be a logical way to reincorporate the tokens into New York's daily life and, of course, prove that the "Y-cut" token had more life to it. For more information, please visit NY MTA Authentication.